23 May 2008

Flagler's Folly

Ok, so this is Flagler College, formerlly the Ponce DeLeon Hotel, built in 1888 by Henry Flagler as a resort hotel. It was designed by the firm Carrere and Hastings, and was the first large scale building in the US to be built of poured concrete. The hotel saw visits from many celebrities and Presidents, and in WW2 was used as a Coast Guard training center. The hotel was sold to Flagler College in 1967.

This is the interior of the main entrance hall, featuring intricate murals painted by Tojetti and George Maynard. The hotel also had Tiffany stained glass windows throughout.

The elaborate main dining hall, still used as such, for the college now. Below, an example of one of the few original chairs remaining, and a reproduction. The chair with the wheels is the original, because of the Gilded Age practice of men moving the women's chairs for them. Very few originals survive, and the dining room is full of accurate reproductions.

This room remains much the same as it did it the hotel days, and is only used for special occasions. Note the chandelliers and intricate plaster work on the ceiling.

No comments: