"Choo choo! Choo choo! Choo choo!"
locks and keys
Telegraphs and wire covers
The Hildegarde was one of the last recorded steamers to serve this area on the St Marys River. She began her service here in the 1890's and was sold in 1916 to a sugar refinery company in Savannah.
Using the public docks, she would come twice a week from the Fernandina area and stop at Kings Ferry which is about ten miles from Folkston on the St Marys. The boat would spend the night taking on mail, passengers and supplies to return the next day.
She broke her keel on a sandbar in South Carolina ending a small piece of history for this area.