Ok, this is Oconee Station, an important outpost on the Carolina frontier in the late 1700's. It was one of six military outposts created in 1792 as a base for scouts and early warning stations for Indian raids. It was the only station still in use after 1796, and continued military operation until 1799. In 1795 a trader named William Richards came to the station, and in 1805 built his house next to the original garrison. While the station had been the site of much trade since it was created, once the military left this became its sole purpose.
Unfortunetly for us, there seemed to be nobody here, so no tours or looks inside the buildings or anything. This led to the wife finding a more creative way to spend time here.
This map shows the extent of Cherokee lands in South Carolina, as well as major outposts and settlements.
This is the station Blockhouse, the only surviving building of the site's military days. Less than thirty militia men were stationed here, but they were selected for being the best hunters and scouts.
William Richard's house, built next to the blockhouse. The house was unusual in this area, where most houses were log cabins. Just going to show how wealthy Richards became from the abundance of trade that happened at the station. Following his death in 1809 and the western movement of the frontier, the station declined until it was eventually shut down.