Ok, the final set for this Savannah trip, and the final two squares! We begin with Ellis Square, seen above. Laid out in 1733 and named for Royal Governer Henry Ellis, it is one of the oldest squares and was often called Market Square because it was where the city's market was. It was demolished in 1954 to create a parking garage, an act that angered citizens and led to the preservation movement in Savannah. It is now being restored to its former glory, hence the construction work.
This is Franklin Square, laid out in 1791 and named for Benjamin Franklin. It was once the site of the city's water tower and was thus called Water Tower Square.
This is the new Haitian Monument: "The largest unit of soldiers of African Descent who fought in the American Revolution was the brave Les Chasseurs Volontaires De Saint Domingue from Haiti. This regiment consisted of free men who volunteered for a campaign to capture Savannah from the British in 1779. Their sacrifice reminds us that men of African Desent were also present on many other battlefields during the Revolution."
The First African Baptist Church. Built by slaves in 1859, its floors have decorative holes that allowed hidden runaway slaves to breathe.