10 August 2008

The local Sugar Shack

Ok, this is the McIntosh Sugarmill ruins, a local landmark near the Navy Base. It was built around 1825 by John Houston McIntosh for sugar cane from his New Canaan Plantation. It also had the first horizontal cane mill operated by cattle power. Like many early structures in the area, it was made of Coquina, a natural conglomerate made of limestone with seashells in it. partially because of this, residents until more recent years thought this was the ruins of an old Spanish mission. McIntosh's home, Marianna, was on nearby land that is now part of the Kings Bay Sub Base.

No comments: