17 January 2009

Rising again?

So this week's book selection is a litle different. Until now the books I have posted have gotten at least decent reviews from me. This book, however, the Politically Incorrect Guide (PIG) to The South, was very disapointing. I have read a few books in this series, and while it is nice to read something that is not as liberal biased as many books are, this series seems to go to an extreme the other way. I got this one thinking it would have some interesting, non-liberal history, but most of the book is not even about history. It talks about how food is better in the south, Nascar is in the south, the best sports teams are in the south, etc. First of all, I really couldn't care less. Second of all, most all of these claims made by the book can be easily disputed. Even when the book does talk about history, it is so unbelievably extreme in its pro-southerness as to be almost laughable. It makes claims such as after 1776 there were no major Revolutionary battles in the North. Seriously? Now don't get me wrong, I really like the South, but if this is what you have to resort to in order to "defend" your region...? Anyway, at this point, I think you can guess that I don't reccomend this book, unless you know someone who thinks Jesus was really born in Alabama and Satan lives in New York, or something like that. If you do know such a person, you can get the book here.
The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South
Clint Johnson
2007 Regnery Publishing
288 pages

1 comment:

Sparky said...

Nahhhh ... Satan lives in Massachusetts, everybody knows THAT! (ha ha)
I, too, like non-liberal history (just the facts, m'am). The book does sound extremely boring. Thanks for the warning! ♥ ∞